Saint James the Greater School represents more than a century of excellence in Catholic education.
On September 8th, 1902, our school opened under the direction of the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill, NY. Classes were held in a variety of buildings during the early years. The 'old' school is shown in picture below:
In 1948, the parish planned for a new school to be built in two sections. The first wing of the 'new' school opened in 1950. The second wing, including the gymnasium, was completed in 1962. These two phases of construction represent the school as it stands today:
Saint James the Greater school enters the 21st century prepared to meet the needs of today's students.
The thoughts and actions of our entire school community are guided by our Mission Statement:
St. James the Greater School seeks to enrich and develop the spiritual, academic, and social needs of students in an elementary setting (K-8) by providing an excellent education in an atmosphere of a Christian community, characterized by mutual love and concern.
Because we strive to put these ideals into action, we have adopted the following motto:
St James the Greater: COMMUNITY HAPPENS HERE!